Friday, June 14, 2013

Day 41 Melide to Arzua June 14th

14 km (8.6 miles) traveled. Elevation climbed about 100 meters (300 feet) up and down and up again..

First of all, I would just like to say that I can hardly believe that I only have 2 days of walking left. I am very, very happy. My body is telling me that it has had enough. The walking itself has gotton easier, and easier, but the toll over all has been in many ways good and bad.
The good is that I am feeling really fit. I can climb up big hills easily. Well maybe not easily, but easier... My body has changed. I have no idea how much weight I have lost, but my pants are bigger on me. I don't think it's been so much as weight loss, but shape change. My German thighs are ever present. Thanks Grandma Dolly!

The bad is that my feet are in pretty bad shape. I will probably lose at least 2 more nails. My blisters on my heels are now dried and scabbed. I was extremely careful on the downhills today to avoid toe jam. Criss crossed all the way down.
Each day is a progression for me. Each day is a challenge. Each day I am a stronger woman who realizes that I can get through pretty much anything, moment by moment, day by day. This is how life is. We continue on, and learn how to get through trials each and every day. Sometimes little things, sometimes big ones.

Mentally, I am in a good place. Tired and starting to feel relief that this pilgrimage is almost over. I am sure all pilgrims who have sacrificed have this same feeling. I will miss the simpleness of life on the camino. I am excited to get home to John and my own bed.

Yesterday I walked with a guy Norman who has walked from Sarria with his 79 year old mom Thelma. They are both nurses. He does occupational health, and she was an instructor. They are from Arizona. They are following about the same plan I am, only their day is longer. We will be at the same place tomorrow night. A hotel for my last night before finishing.

Last night some other pilgrims and I went out for dinner at about 6. Melide is famous for octopus. We couldn't find a restaurant that was open to serve until 9:30. We ended up going for chicken...which was really ok with me.
On the way, we passed this car. The men made a big deal out of it, so here is a pic. It's called a Citroen.






Spanish customs take a lot to get used to.
Everything closes at 1 to about 4:30 each afternoon for siesta.
They work really long hours then because of it. Most people work until 8 or 9 and they eat at 10 pm. So very different from us in the U.S.

This was the first thing I saw as I came out of town this am. This cross gave me inspiration for the day.
I slept well, didn't cough much, but this cough has turned out to be a reactive airway thing. It was cold this morning. Fresh.. And I was coughing like I am a smoker. A little albuterol would be good....



It was cool and misty


One of the towns had a church dedicated to Saint James. I went in to check it out and say a prayer. They gave me a prayer card. Very nice.
This is a picture of him



Another km marker... Only 40 to go.


And these trees, which were so bare at the beginning of my trip are blooming now. So pretty.


I'm going to visit the church here this evening. It should be open. I missed mass last week, no churches were where I was.
The next 2 days will each be about 20 km days. Some hills, but no mountains. The weather is supposed to be great tomorrow, rain predicted for Sunday, my day to walk yo Santiago. Oh well... All will be well, God provides.
Have a Good Friday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. You are WOMAN hear you ROAR. I'm thinking you will end your walk in sunshine! New and improved body (except for toenails) sounds shapely. New and improved mindset sounds sane. The new leaves on the trees are metaphoric. And John and bed are waiting!

    ReplyDelete