Friday, June 21, 2013

What I have learned on the camino

While on the camino over these last weeks, I wrote this blog.. working on what I was learning, both on the camino, and for life. So much applies to both.
I am safely home, i slept well in my own bed last night, and ready to end this blog, but this chapter of my life will always remain with me.
The camino was a wonderful life experience, one that I am so glad to have done.


1. People throughout the world are generally good. If I asked any fellow pilgrim for help, they were glad to do it. I never felt concerned for myself.
2. You are stronger and more capable than you think you are.
3. Being alone and on your own for a period of time is good for you. You may not be completely content everyday, but it is good for you.
4. I want to become fluent in Spanish. To spend 7 weeks somewhere, it is really helpful to have a good grip on the language. My Spanish became passable during my time on the camino. And most importantly, if people know you are willing to try, they are much happier to help you.
5. In contrast to the above statement, you can usually communicate what you need to, even if you don't know the language. Hand signals really can get you through some of the time, if not most of the time.
6. Don't wear cotton on an adventure type of trip. It holds moisture, and will keep you wet and cold. I didn't bring anything cotton, and I was glad for it. It was very cold in Spain these last weeks, and I saw people whom I thought could easily get hypothermic.
7. Always have dry socks available to you, and take good care of your feet. My feet have been an every day concern.
8. If you need to stay connected, it's ok. It's your decision, and for me, my iPad brought me much comfort.
9. Be careful of what you wish for. The desire to accomplish your wish may be harder than you ever imagined.
10. Almost always there is an uphill. Conquer it. Then it's downhill from there.
But be ready! Cause the next uphill isn't far away...same as in life.
11. Eat when you are hungry. My energy was kept up by eating lots, but my stomach told me to eat. This is something I need to work on when I get home. If you are not hungry, don't eat just cause its time to eat.
12. Be focused on what is in front of you. All of those distractors are just that, distractions. To do any one thing well, you need to focus on that one thing. And to add to this, don't focus on what everyone around you is doing, the only one you can control is yourself.
13. Most important. When you put yourself in God's hands, he will always, always, take care of you, and get you to the place- physically, mentally, and spiritually that you need to be. I have learned that there is only so much that I am in control of, and it's actually very little. God's love is steadfast, never waning, and with us always.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Joni. I look forward to hearing it in person at Panera's sometime in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said, "what a great experience & adventure, more great ones ahead ☺💝☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said, "what a great experience & adventure, more great ones ahead ☺💝☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great experience & adventure you had! Beautifully said &more great ones ahead☺

    ReplyDelete